Pages

Sunday 3 June 2012

Juneathon day 3 - moving indoors

I was very doubtful about whether I would be able to muster up enough motivation for today's run, given that every muscle in my body aches from the last two days of exertion, combined with the foul weather. However the social aspect of Juneathon provided the mental arse kick needed to get my trainers on and I dealt with the weather issue by running indoors.

Last year, in the middle of my last spurt of running, I bought a treadmill in anticipation of winter weather and dark evenings when I might not feel like running outdoors. As it transpired I dealt with not wanting to run outdoors in the dark or winter weather by not running full stop, and the treadmill has sat in our conservatory since functioning as a very high spec clothes airer / plant pot stand. My boyfriend uses it for its intended purpose from time to time but I have only been on it once before today. 


Due to my sore legs I decided to take it gently and set a goal of 15 minutes continuous running, but once I got going I found it much easier than I expected and ended up covering 3 of the treadmill's mysterious measurement units in 28.56 minutes. I'm assuming it's miles since a 10 minute mile is my normal pace but nowhere on the machine does it actually tell you if it's miles or kilometres. Note to the treadmill people - this is important information!

I found it really interesting how much easier it was to run on the treadmill than to run outside. The last two days I've been running 5 minute intervals with 1 minute in between and, whilst that hasn't felt super-hard, it certainly hasn't felt easy or like I could do much longer intervals without rest. On the treadmill, on the other hand, I found running continuously for 30 minutes to be pretty easy and could certainly have carried on longer, had I not been in charge of ordering tonight's Chinese takeway.

So, I have found this super-motivating in a couple of ways - firstly, that I actually ran at all since I really didn't feel like it, and secondly that I can clearly do more than I thought I could. One further interesting thing I have learnt is that a 10 minute mile pace is exactly the beat of Chelsea Dagger by the Fratellis. Good to know.

1 comment:

  1. Well done, you. So happy that you mustered up the motivation to move those heavy-looking plant vases and run :-)

    ReplyDelete