Pages

Tuesday 5 June 2012

Juneathon days 4&5 - upping the anti

No blog yesterday - tut tut - so today's post covers yesterday too. After my triumphant 30 minutes continuous treadmill running on day 3 I decided on day 4 to try and repeat the feat outside. I ran (with boyfriend as moral support) the 3 mile loop previously run on day 2 in intervals of 5 minutes running / 1 minute walking and I fully expecting to have to stop and walk at least some of the way, however actually managed to do the whole thing without stopping at all (not even for crossing the road - it was one of those dream runs where all the traffic lights were in our favour, no need for jogging on the spot by the side of the road). It took just under 35 minutes.

I'm amazed by this - I thought that a six month gap between runs would have put me pretty much back to zero running ability but it seems that I have lost relatively little running power in my months of sitting on the sofa.  Once again it didn't feel too hard, I could converse all the way around and probably could've kept going at least another mile. Bearing in mind the endurance nature of Juneathon, I don't want to push myself too hard and knacker my knees early on (bad knees have scupper previous bouts running enthusiasm) but I must admit I'm curious to test the limits of my running powers a little.

Today it's been raining on and off pretty much all day and, whilst I've been caught in the rain showers when out running, I have never knowingly set off for a run in the rain so it's been back to the treadmill. For the sake of variety I decided to go for a shorter distance but faster speed, so have just run a fixed distance of 2 miles in 16.22 minutes. I plan to do this 2 mile time trial every so often just to see if I'm getting any faster. In my running days 10 years ago I could run 6 miles in under an hour so am keen to see if I can get back to this pace. Not far off it today but certainly couldn't have kept that pace up for very much longer! All in good time I guess...

I have also learnt that the audio book of Amanda Vickery's Behind Closed Doors: At Home in Georgian England is very interesting but not super motivating from a running point of view. Back to the Fratellis next time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment