Pages

Sunday 9 June 2013

Juneathon day 9 - pain!

Well it turns out that I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the power of the slow running, because I woke up this morning barely able to move my legs. Pretty much every part of my legs ached - toes, calves, knees, thighs - the works. I had to inch down stairs one step at a time. This is the most that my legs have hurt since I started running again at the beginning of the year. Most odd. I took it pretty easy for most of the day - knitting, watching TV, snoozing - basically all activities designed to be performed with your feet up on the sofa.

There was some talk with The Boyfriend of perhaps ditching running for today and cycling instead. I'm a nervous cyclist due to a serious accident when I was at college, so the fact that I seriously considered this option shows how sore my legs were. That said, I'm not sure how much training benefit there would be from riding my bicycle. It's a Pashley Princess - the kind of bike you'd generally expect to see Miss Marple riding with a basket full of puppies, cut flowers or fresh bread on the front. It only has three gears and weighs about the same as a small family car.
Built for comfort, not for speed.

Anyway, the general leg pain got slightly better as the day went on and I really wanted to run so as not to break my running streak so in the end I decided to go out for a gentle 30 minute jog and just see how it went. Once I got moving I felt perfectly fine so ended up actually going for a fairly fast 5k, not far off my personal best. Whilst I am delighted with that, I can't help feeling that I'm going to be paying for it tomorrow. Already, less that twenty minutes after getting back, my legs are back to being as painful as they were this morning. I think I may be back on the treadmill tomorrow, assuming I haven't lost the use of my legs completely.

Day 9 - 5k in 30.06
Runningfree stats

No comments:

Post a Comment