Pages

Monday 3 June 2013

Junethon day 3 - treadmill intervals

I took to the treadmill first thing this morning, despite the lovely weather, as I wanted to try and measure an accurate maximum heart rate (still playing with my new toy...). I did this by running 3 intervals of increasing craziness culminating in a minute of running at 13kph which is the fastest I've ever run on the treadmill, indeed it may be the fastest I've ever run full stop. It's the kind of pace I imagine I would only achieve in outdoor running if I were being chased by bears. Since I certainly couldn't sustain it for much more than a minute it would probably be easier just to let the bears take me and be done with it. It seems crazy to think that people run at that pace for any kind of distance at all. Anyway, all's well that ends well - my heart rate sky-rocketed, and I didn't go flying off the back of the treadmill into the garage wall. That's a win. The second part of the heart rate monitoring experiment was much more pleasant - measuring a resting heart rate whilst napping in front of the lunchtime news.

Day 3 - 5k in 29.45
Runningfree stats

2 comments:

  1. You would certainly give that bear a good workout for his lunch :-)

    Great job...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ana, although I think bears can be pretty fast when they want to be...

    ReplyDelete